Skip to main content

Calamansi (Small Lime)

Updated 26 Sep 2017

Planted seeds of a small lime (calamansi). Took a few days for the shoots to show. Don't know why the shoots clump together for one of the seeds? Are there many seeds in that spot?

9 Sep 2017: So many shoots from one spot for the top one.
11 Sep 2017: The single shoot is growing faster.
A few days of growth and it is survival of the fittest and the one who has less competition for resources. The single shoot has grown bigger than the cluster.

15 Sep 2017
Scattered some cinnamon powder to try to kill some white ant-looking creatures in the soil. Hope they are not mealy-bugs. Just springtails or soil mites.
And noticed two more shots have sprouted. More lime plants?

26 Sep 2017: I just read that that it takes years for a lime tree to fruit, when grown from seed. Now, I am considering whether to quit this plant or not.
Two tomato plants came to join the party. Their old house was over crowded.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farfalle

Made some farfalle - I was intrigued by the prettiness of the shape. It's hard work though, all for the sake of the jagged edges. I cleaned out my old craft scissors to do the cutting. Now I realised that the commercial pasta only has jagged edges on the ends of the 'bows'. Not the other side! Well, I may not make this again. The middle of the bow is thick, as expected. So, there's more 'bite' there! But the lemon sauce with cheese, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and lemon zest - that was really refreshing. Uneven sizes and thickness but they still look pretty. Simple lemon, olive oil sauce with some cheese.

The old writers

I first noticed these words in a novel. Only the first three lines as the writer was describing a fear and restlessness but not a seeking of the divine. I looked for them later and there they were, in the Service Book in church. Part of the Evening Prayer, it may seem out of sorts for us city dwellers with lights everywhere, all the time. But, the night is still there, darkness still in us. These writers of old, they write so well. Or maybe they just knew their God better. in your mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night

Okinawan Spinach

A friend gave me a cutting of Okinawan Spinach. Yay, new vegetable to try planting. The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynura_bicolor Gynura bicolor, hongfeng cai 紅鳳菜, okinawan spinach or edible gynura, is a member of the chrysanthemum family (Asteraceae). It is native to China, Thailand, and Myanmar but grown in many other places as a vegetable and as a medicinal herb. Since most of the leaves needed to be removed for the rooting, I made a salad. This was a 'Global' Salad with Okinawan Spinach, Mexican Asparagus, Malaysian cucumber and cherry tomatoes, Argentinian blue berries and NZ salad dressing! In future, if I grow this vegetable successfully, I will stir fry it with sesame oil and ginger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynura_bicolor   According to Chinese food grouping, Gynura bicolor is a 'cool' food, so the leaves are stir-fried with sesame oil and ginger (both 'hotter' foods) to achieve a balance. After m...